Thursday, April 12, 2007

Thoughts on the Don Imus Fiasco

A few months ago, on "The View", Rosie O'Donnell said Christianity is just as dangerous as Radical Islam. I am a devout Catholic and as a Christian I was taken aback by this comment. But, first, like I said in the previous blog, I considered the source. Rosie O'Donnell is an extremely angry and sad woman. But, second and most important, I acknowledged her right to say what is on her mind, even if it is lunacy.

Do I disagree with what O'Donnell said? Like I said, I am a devout Catholic, you figure it out. Do I think she should lose her job? No!

The fact is, if she where to undergo the attacks Don Imus has this past week, I would feel the need to stick up for her right to be so totally and absolutely wrong.

Why? Because if she loses her right to speak, then it will not be long before I lose my right to speak. I'm afraid if we begin firing people and "blacklisting" them for the things they say, we will be well on our way to losing our freedom. (By the way, it was not an accident that I used the word "Blacklisting")

Well, as of this evening, my nightmare may be beginning.

Was what Don Imus said insulting and idiotic? That would be understating things. Did he deserve to be fired? Not in the United States I am familiar with.

The United States I am familiar with is a place where speech is not stifled. Un-stifled speech allows us to talk things out before they reach a damaging impasse. The United States I am familiar with is one where I am able to express my opinions, no matter how crazy they may seem. The United States I am familiar with is a place where I can be whatever I want to be. The United States I am familiar with has a First Amendment which allows me to be offensive with my opinions.

(Please don't give me the line about how words can hurt. I've been hurt enough by words to know, the only way they can hurt is if you give them the power to do so.)

This is a real life example of where and how we can all develop character. What Imus said was hurtful, rude, sexist and racist, but we have to remember that pain ultimately makes us stronger.

At the same time, if we fall into the temptation to whine and cry about the pain, that does the opposite. It allows us to believe life isn't about adapting and overcoming. It allows us to believe we don't need the spiritual calisthenics a situation like this provides. As a result, we become weaker.

We need to learn not to whine every time we're hurt and we need to be willing to stand up for people we don't necessarily agree with. That is an extremely difficult situation to be in. But, if we don't stand up against injustices perpetrated against our enemies, there will be no one to defend us when it is our turn.

2 comments:

J.D. said...

Well said!

I thought the exact same things when I was writing my blog. I didn't happen to think about Rosie though, but she's a perfect example.

I mean, black figureheads are always free to talk about how white people are nerdy, can't jump, and have shorter manhoods, yet, somehow, that's cool?

One double standard can be the downfall of it all.

Anonymous said...

Well written article.