Sunday, August 12, 2007

Chapter III - Faith

"Faith is the Chief Chemist of the mind"

Faith is so very important, not just in the world's religions, but in every day life. Think about it for a moment. If you woke up one morning and had no faith you would make it to work, would you go!

There are so many people in the world today who say, "One day, I'll start a business". But, they never do. The reason they don't is because they have no faith. Their desire is there, but they need to have the faith.

How do we develop the faith necessary to bring our dreams to fruition?

Mr. Hill tells us, "Repetition of affirmation of orders to your subconscious mind is the only known method of voluntary development of the emotion of faith". So, if we where to take the lesson Mr. Hill taught us in chapter two, we see where he tells us to read our desires and the plan to attain them every day. This exercise was obviously not just to build desire, it was to build faith as well.

Now, as an aside, I do believe Mr. Hill is correct in saying repetition develops faith. However, I believe there is a second way to build faith. In many cases, faith is only a mixture of a strong desire and planning.

Let's go back to the example of a person with the desire to start a business. This person may not have the faith to start it because he lacks a plan. As a result, he may think it is too hard to start the business. If he where to sit down and do some research, he will find there are a lot of people who are willing to teach him and give him advice for very little or no money. People like the local Chamber of Commerce, the local Rotary Club, the Small Business Association, and the list goes on.

After finding all of this information this same person may well find himself filled to the brim with faith. As a result, six months after finding the information, he will be running a successful business!

The use of repetition in order to develop faith is nothing more than deceiving your subconscious mind into allowing you to do anything you desire. This action is called autosuggestion. Although, the next chapter is all about autosuggestion, this chapter deals with it as well. Faith and autosuggestion are tightly intertwined.

Since the subconscious mind can be fooled into believing an alternate faith, special care must be taken because it "[M]akes no distinction between constructive and destructive though impulses". In other words, if you're constantly putting yourself down, that will work in the same way as repeating your desires day after day.

For example: If you constantly tell yourself you're stupid, you will manifest that part of you and you will be stupid. However, if you tell yourself, you're extremely bright and creative, you and everyone around you will see an incredible increase in your intellect and creativity.

In order to help build your intellectual and creative side, Mr. Hill suggests a self-confidence formula. Read this formula carefully and do exactly as it says. write it out in a contract form adapting it to your own situation and sign it. Then be sure to read it every day.

FIRST: I know that I have the ability to achieve the object of my definite purpose in life; therefore, I demand of myself persistent, continuous action toward its attainment, and I here and now promise to render such action.

SECOND: I realize the dominating thoughts of my mind will eventually reproduce themselves in outward, physical action, and gradually transform themselves into physical reality; therefore, I will concentrate my thoughts for thirty minutes daily, upon the task of thinking of the person I intend to become, thereby creating in my mind a clear mental picture.

THIRD: I know through the principle of autosuggestion, any desire that I persistently hold in my mind will eventually seek expression though some practical means of attaining the object back of it; therefore, I will devote tem minutes daily to demanding of myself the development of self-confidence.

FOURTH: I have clearly written down a description of my definite chief aim in life, and I will never stop trying, until I shall have developed sufficient self-confidence for its attainment.

FIFTH: I fully realize that no wealth or position can long endure, unless built upon truth and justice; therefore, I will engage in no transaction which does not benefit all whom it affects. I will succeed by attracting to myself the forces I wish to use, and the cooperation of other people. I will induce others to serve me, because of my willingness to serve others. I will eliminate hatred, envy, jealousy, selfishness and cynicism, by developing live for all humanity, because I know that a negative attitude toward others can never bring me success, I will cause others to believe in me, because I will believe in them, and in myself. I will sign my name to this formula, commit it to memory, and repeat it aloud once a day, with full faith that it will gradually influence my thoughts and actions so that I will become a self-reliant, and successful person.

As we get deeper into this book the more, it seems, needs to be said. So instead of continuing on, I will break this post off hear and continue with a second post later.

See you then!

4 comments:

Wendy's Coffeehouse said...

Hey! Got a new lead for you. Think and Grow Rich has been revamped and revised by the Former Editor in Chief of the Think and Grow Rich newsletter - here is my link and you can get what ever info you need from the post.

http://talkingtonightlights.wordpress.com/2007/08/13/revisiting-napoleon-hill-a-classic-updated/

Have a wonderful day!

Dave Horne said...

I really like your site. I'm going to post a link to it on www.careersecretsauce.com.

Dave

Applying the Law of Attraction said...

Michael - well done! Thanks for your efforts and sharing your views of this classic book. For your readers who don't have a copy of Think and Grow Rich, you can download it for free here: FREE Think and Grow Rich

Sam Chan said...

Strong belief generates the "can do". The "can do" generates the "how to".